Thursday, February 28, 2008

Review: Tessa Rae Newman "Spellbound"


Tessa Rae Newman is a rising star from where the horses roam in Oklahoma, who released "Spellbound" in 2007. TRN has a powerful voice and sings her songs with passion – it is hard to believe she is only 17. This CD features a diverse blend of power pop, country rock, and tender ballads that are well produced and very commercial. There are 3-4 songs that have above average hit potential, namely the catchy lead off track "Barbie Doll Syndrome", which skillfully fuses modern R&B with potent rock guitar, and the instantly catchy "Momma Always Makes It Better.” The latter is an excellent choice for a first single. Another highlight for me is “Don’t Rain On My Parade,” a pleasant mid-tempo rocker.

TRN's songs will be greeted with open arms by Christian radio – most of her lyrics either have overt Christian content or a generally positive message. Her dilemma may be this: while "Momma Always Makes It Better" is a song every parent would hope their daughter would write, I wonder if it is truly marketable in this world. I hope for the benefit of all of us that it is.

Another double-edged sword may be the diversity of the songwriting and styles. I imagine some music fans would appreciate a disc where no two tracks sound alike, but I know others who prefer a more cohesive and consistent sound from track to track. Personally, I would love a disc full of more of the catchy pop rockers like "Momma" and "Parade".

A few tracks have already showed some muscle on music charts around the world, including the country-inspired “Me and My Ford” (which I mistook the font to read “Me and My Lord” – LOL) in Australia and the title track in the Netherlands. Stateside fame should be unavoidable and I wish her the best of luck.

iPOD-worthy: 1, 3, 5, 7

Tessa Rae Newman on MySpace. Official site.

Check out the video for “Momma Always Makes It Better”:

No comments: