Thursday, February 7, 2008

CD review: Will Hoge "Draw the Curtains"

The latest from rousing roots rocker Will Hoge is unexpectedly subdued. I did not anticipate so many ballads. I was all ready to rock out to track # 1 and was taken aback by the slow piano and sad hamonica. You'd expect a track or 2 on any Will Hoge disc to have this sound and tempo, but the polarity is reversed on this release. Only 1 or 2 rockers this time around.

But more important - are the songs any good? I wish I could say they were better. They are just too boring and devoid of melody! Lyrically I still give the guy credit, and he still puts his blood sweat and tears into every track. Just listen to the autobiographical closing track and you'll know what Will Hoge is all about.

I loved his earlier work, "Carousel" (2001) and "Blackbird on a Lonely Wire," (2003) but his last two records have disappointed.

iPOD-worthy: 1, 2, 3, 7

Will Hoge at MySpace. Official site.

Cool trivia: Dan Baird was his first guitarist...formerly of Georgia Satellites, remember?! Dan is no longer with the band.

No comments: