Friday, January 29, 2010

Review: Rockburn [EP demo]


I don't get demo CDs from Scotland that often, but now I have a reason to get excited whenever I see them in the mail. These four Scottish lads comprising Rockburn jolted me right out of my seat with a classic sound and spirit that captures the best of 70s rock while still managing to have a modern edge. Only three tracks on the demo: "Night On Fire", "Wishing Well (Free)", and "The Last Stop" - each one is dynamic and bursting with catchy riffs and thumping bass. It was great to hear a band that remembers to crank up the low end (but don't interpret that as a license to crank it up any further, gents!).

"Night On Fire" kicks in with a thick, ear-shredding riff and will soon be the song you'll want to play while getting ready to hit the town. "Wishing Well (Free)" continues the feel-good party vibe with a driving, booming bass that reminds me of that distinctive early Survivor sound - you know, before Peterik went nuts with all the keyboards. Beginning with some great acoustic guitar, "The Last Stop" showcases their diverse musical palate and instincts to write a memorable melody.

Stephen Baxter's vocals may be the limiting factor in this band achieving wider appeal. Don't get me wrong - to me, they are well-suited for what Rockburn does, but for others his tone is going to be an acquired taste. I am very excited to hear more of what this band can do. If you like Jet, The Flamin' Groovies, or The Fags, check out Rockburn.

Rockburn on MySpace. Official site.

Check out some Rockburn:

No comments: