Thursday, July 16, 2009

Review: Rhett Miller "Rhett Miller"


Rhett Miller has returned at last with this self-titled follow-up to 2006's masterful "The Believer". During the break he spent some time with his old friends in the acclaimed alt-country band Old 97's to release the excellent "Blame It On Gravity". Frequent readers of this blog have probably noticed my fondness for both the Old 97's and Miller's solo work, and won't be surprised when I say his latest is unbelievable. Readers may be surprised that what I really mean is that "Rhett Miller" is unbelievably mediocre.

Obviously, Miller has been writing an awful lot and perhaps the well is running dry. Most of these songs are devoid of the sweet melodic hooks that make you keep coming back for more, and Miller's vocals come off like he isn't even convinced that these are strong songs. I have spun this record many times now, trying to find something to love, but I can only find things I like.

The element that has remained strong, maybe even gotten better, are his lyrics. "Haphazardly" for example, may be one of his most heart-wrenching yet. So don't get me wrong - this is a good record, but I don't agree with the many folks calling this his best release yet.

iPOD-worthy: 1, 2, 4, 7

Rhett Miller on MySpace. Official site.

No comments: