Thursday, July 23, 2009

Review: Mandy Moore "Amanda Leigh"


I never really gave Mandy Moore a second thought - nice voice, but her discography generally is comprised of unremarkable, corporate teen pop. But then I heard that her new 2009 album, "Amanda Leigh" was making some noise in the power pop circuit, propelled by the fact that one of our modern day power pop heroes (Mike Viola) had a huge hand in writing, performing, and recording this record. With that backdrop, I had to tuck my tail between my legs and get my first Mandy Moore disc.

What a pleasant surprise. "Amanda Leigh" is a clear deviation from her past recordings, so long-time Moore fans should be forewarned: this is what REAL music sounds like! Moore has matured, and Mike Viola's stamp is on every track here - keeping the music organic, throwing out the dumb drum machines, and incorporating his staples of harpsichord and (sigh) toy piano. Moore and Viola were inspired by 70s singer/songwriters, especially Paul McCartney, and you'll definitely hear that influence among these tracks.

By far and away, the best track is "I Could Break Your Heart Any Day Of The Week", but I would cite "Love to Love Me Back" and "Nothing Everything" as additional standouts. Most of the songs are exceptionally well-crafted and pay homage to their 70s idols by incorporating plenty of memorable hooks and harmony. Unfortunately, the CD is pretty damn dull in the middle, but it starts and ends very well.

Moore has sold over 8 million albums worldwide and now I can say that I am not ashamed that I own one of them. "Amanda Leigh" is not likely to outsell her previous work, but I applaud the new artistic direction her music has taken and look forward to where she is going.

Check out "Amanda Leigh" if you enjoy Kelly Jones, Lisa Loeb, or Mike Viola.

iPOD-worthy: 2, 3, 8, 9, 10

Mandy Moore on MySpace. Official site.

Check out the video for "I Could Break Your Heart Any Day Of The Week".

No comments: