Monday, April 13, 2009

Review: Deathray "Deathray" [2000]


I am speculating that Deathray is one of those bands that never got a fair shot because of their name. If you knew nothing about them, what would you guess a band named Deathray would sound like? Metal?

Deathray is far from bone crushing guitars and howling screeches; in fact, two of their members used to be in the indie band Cake (Greg Brown, guitar and Victor Damiani, bass). But Deathray doesn't sound like Cake either...Deathray is 80% pop rock and 20% space rock. So I am guessing the name plays on their tendency to incorporate some soaring, atmospheric textures in their sound. Vocalist Dana Gumbiner reminds me of Owsley quite a bit, and some of this band's songs are as catchy as something Owsley might write as well.

The CD is quite good and I am surprised it didn't get more attention in 2000. Opening track "My Lunatic Friends" is a crowd pleaser, a modern day Cheap Trick meets Weezer sounding rocker with big hooks and well done harmony vocals. "What Would You Do?", "Now That I Am Blind", and the mildly eclectic "Someone After You" are additional highlights. The rest is not bad, but not strong enough to demand repeated listens...not immediately, anyway. The CD is available for a single fat penny (used at Amazon.com). There is a second CD out there and I am inclined to check it out if I can find it. Too bad these guys called it quits in 2007 - one listen to their debut and you'll agree they had a budding chemistry and tremendous potential.

Check out Deathray if you like Abandoned Pools, Guided By Voices, or Eels. Pop rockers should at least check out the tracks I've highlighted, especially "My Lunatic Friends".

iPOD-worthy: 1, 3, 7, 8

Deathray on MySpace. Official site.

No comments: