Thursday, April 23, 2009

Rare CD: Pearl Jam "Reenk Roink"


"Pearl Jam - Reenk Roink (Alternate version of "Ten") CD

In November of 1991, my freshman year in college, I was a DJ at WNUR in Evanston, Illinois.

My friend Jamie did an interview with Mike McCready and Dave Abbruzzese of Pearl Jam before their show at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago with Smashing Pumpkins and Red Hot Chili Peppers that I engineered for her.

Nice guys. They thought I was funny and gave me a t-shirt with Mookie Blaylock on it. I still have it somewhere, if it would be of interest.

Because of the above, I somehow ended up with this cd in my possession, which is a "Reenk Roink" version of the band's first album Ten. There appear to have been only a few dozen of these discs ever made.

I have confirmed that the DISP-001152 1 serial number on the disc's inner circle matches the information on pjcollectors.com. I've uploaded a picture of the disc matrix.

There is blue marker on the disc face, listing the band name, album title and the words "Reeenk Roink."

While the jewel case face has a crack in it, I would be happy to put this disc in a new jewel case for the auction winner or leave it in its original case.

There is no booklet or tray card.

Five Horizons wrote the following about this cd:

"Never fear, vinyl haters, there are also rare CD's in the collector's book. The first on the list is the infamous "Reenk Roink" CD, which was a first run pressing copy of "Ten" that was hand-decorated by the band (Jeff and Ed seem to have shared chores) and handed out to clubs, radio stations, etc...These are super-rare; there were allegedly only 10, but I've seen more than that turn up on eBay over the past few years. There are probably no more than two dozen. You need to be VERY CAREFUL that you are buying a real one, and not a fake, as I've seen several questionable examples of this CD float around. If you're in the market for one of these, get to know what they are supposed to look like by watching and not bidding on some auctions. Ask around, see if people on a mailing list or BBS have one that they can scan for you...This is my favorite collectible; it's like holding a piece of Pearl Jam history in your hand."

If you have any questions about this collectable, I am happy to answer them for you. In my e-research I've read a lot about scams and people trying to pass off fakes of this item, but hopefully the fact that I sell items under my own name will give this auction some added validity.

Jon Solomon"

Sold for $1,651.02 on ebay (33 bids).

No comments: