Monday, February 9, 2009

Review: The Warm Fuzzies "The Bubblegum EP" [EP]


Two words can sum up the The Warm Fuzzies: FUN WEEZER. It is hard not to like a band that is so creative with its packaging; "The Bubblegum EP" CD arrives in a cardboard folder that looks like the classic Bazooka Joe gum wrap. The liner notes are in comic strip form. The CD itself is noted as being a scratch and sniff disc that smells like bubblegum, but I scratched the hell out of this thing and it did not smell like bubblegum.

Then I flipped it over and scratched the pink nonplaying side...cool! It really works! I felt like a kid in a candy store. And I got some funny stares from my wife as I sat there laughing while inhaling a CD. Aroma aside, listening to The Warm Fuzzies reinforced the feeling that I was a kid in a candy store. Still, I don't think this music is best classified as "bubblegum". I believe it more accurate to say it is alternative rock, strongly resembling early Weezer. The Warm Fuzzies do provide a sense of warmth by flexing their funny bone in their music. So if you like alternative, fuzzy guitar rock with amusing lyrics and subject matter, then you need to check out these guys. A better name for this band could not have been proposed.

The band buzzes through six tracks that range from an ode to cheese ("Queso Love") to contemplating some of the more significant philosophical questions of our time, such as "Why Do Girls Wear Big Sunglasses?". My favorite track is the witty and melodic "Space Invaders", strategically complemented with arcade game synths. Speaking of which, the record is heavy with vintage keyboard riffs that will remind you of The Cars. So in a nutshell, I can best characterize The Warm Fuzzies as what Weezer would have sounded like if they made records in the 80s with Ric Ocasek as producer. If you don't get Weezer, The Warm Fuzzies will rub you the wrong way. But you should get the disc anyway because the scratch and sniff feature is wild.

iPOD-worthy: 2, 3, 5

The Warm Fuzzies on MySpace. Official site.

No comments: