Monday, February 16, 2009

Review: Alan Cohen Experience "Alan Cohen Experience" [EP]


Um, OK. I'm thrown for a loop right from the get-go: "All's quiet on the waterfront, it's just me and my elephant." I can't tell you how many times I wish I had a song to play when my elephant and I are in proximity to peaceful waters.

This is the kind of experience you are in for when you listen to this unusual EP from Alan Cohen. An eccentric collection of six intriguing tracks will grab your attention if anything else. Its unorthodox tendencies aside, the production is top-notch, brimming with lush orchestration, crisp guitars, and interesting sound effects. In addition, many of these tunes have a wonderfully infectious chorus that is centered in more familiar musical terrain. In a way, each one of these melodic choruses is like an oasis in a song that is otherwise boldly atypical.

Alan Cohen Experience is not the most common thing I'd order off my music menu, but it gets high marks for being engagingly different. This is one I'd recommend for fans of Frank Zappa, Cake, and other pioneers of eclectic pop. If you are looking for something out of the ordinary but still catchy and expertly performed, look no further than Alan Cohen Experience.

Perhaps as an extension of the track "Space Watch", Alan Cohen is currently working on his next concept album, inspired by Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time". Watch this 'space' to find out if it is a big bang or black hole!

iPOD-worthy: 2, 3

Alan Cohen Experience on MySpace. Official site.

No comments: