Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Review: Rob Bonfiglio "Bring on the Happy"


One of the fondest memories I have from my days in Philly was seeing a band called Wanderlust play a New Years Eve gig at The Electric Factory. After years of enduring grunge, my ears were elated to hear such sunny and bright melodies emanating from the stage once again. I told a friend at the show that the new record from Wanderlust, "Prize", was going to be HUGE. Well, I am known to be wrong once or twice a year, and this was one of those times. "Prize" remains a classic power pop release that still pleases whenever I play it, but Wanderlust tragically never got the recognition they deserve.

Scot Sax has done well moving on as a songwriter for established artists, and he has continued to release brilliant new stuff with the group Feel. Rob Bonfiglio moved on to write songs for others as well and plays guitar for Wilson Phillips. And he's now released an astonishingly good debut solo record.

Optimistic and inspiring, "Bring on the Happy" brings all the greatest elements of power pop and melodic rock together: instantly catchy rhythms, perky guitar riffs, abundant harmonies, and chord progressions that make you shout, "Oh yeah!" There is nothing to dislike on this record; even more impressive, this is Rob's debut and he did virtually everything. Whether Rob is jamming on the guitar like on "Blow Me Away" or pounding on the piano like in "The Best Is Yet To Come", the resulting sounds are wonderfully intoxicating. Vocally, Rob is in the league of Matthew Sweet and Jason Falkner - perfectly pleasing and just right for this genre of music.

While I am hard pressed to find even a mediocre track, I'd have to count "Nothing Will Hold You Down", "Sympathy (Who I Am)", and "React" as my favorites.

"Bring on the Happy" could not be more aptly titled, and I find myself nostalgic for that glorious Wanderlust show I saw on New Years Eve about a decade ago. Dare I try to say it again? What the hell..."Bring on the Happy" is going to be HUGE.

iPOD-worthy: all tracks - way to go!

Rob Bonfiglio on MySpace.

No comments: