Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Review: Verbow "Chronicles"


I recently discovered Verbow and gave their "White Out" CD a rave review. Inspired by my love of this CD, I checked out their preceding release, 1997's "Chronicles". This is the release recorded and mixed by Bob Mould, and his trademark tones come through loud and clear...almost as if Sugar had a different vocalist.

I have spun the "Chronicles" CD several times now, but I am not digging it as quickly as I did "White Out". The hooks just aren't as strong and songs not as instantly catchy. Exceptions to this rule include the terrific "Chronicles of Agent Kidd" and melodic tune "Holiday."

Bottom line: I think if I am in the mood for Verbow, I'd be reaching for "White Out" over "Chronicles" 9 times out of 10.

iPOD-worthy: 2, 6, 7

No comments: