Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Review: Loverboy "Just Getting Started"

Never in a million years would I have predicted to be so crazy about a record by Loverboy. I almost laughed at the thought of them trying to stage a comeback in this day and age, but I am beside myself with how great this CD is...seriously, this one ranks as one of the best CDs of 2007. It is a AOR dream come true in every sense. I'm - ahem - lovin' every minute of it.

The boys have retooled themselves, but just like the Scorpions earlier this year, Loverboy have wildly succeeded in doing the impossible...reinventing themselves to sound like a modern rock outfit while retaining the qualities their long time fans love them for. The production on this record is top notch and completely modern sounding. Mike Reno still sounds incredible after all these years, and even sounds younger and more vibrant here than ever before.

But for me, as always, it comes down to the songs. I own no other Loverboy CD - not even one of their many recycled greatest hits collections - but this one is loaded with tracks that would be killer singles at radio in a more sensible music market. In a sense, this CD could be a greatest hits collection. Every track on this largely upbeat record has a great hook and anthem chorus.

There is not a single bad track in the bunch, but standouts for me include the title track, "Fade To Black," the hilarious "One of them Days," and peppy "Lost Without You." I also like the closing track "Stranded," which features Phil Colin from Def Leppard on backing vocals.

I can't recommend this one enough...cast your prejudice aside and enjoy the ride. Congrats to Mike Reno and the boys.

No comments: