Monday, April 16, 2012

Melodic rock CD of the week


By Stephen Kasenda

SLAM ST. JOAN “Saved By Grace” (1993)

I bought this blindly from a friend without any information at all except a hint that they sounded like SKID ROW meets SPREAD EAGLE, which is a really interesting combo. At first listen, I did agree with that comparison, but I will add that they also have a LILLIAN AXE element, especially from their early days. Rob Creek's vocal reminds me a lot of Phil Lewis from L.A.GUNS, so it's a completely sleaze / hard rock style and I dig it a lot.

'Saved By Grace', which is also the album's title, is a brilliant tune. The chorus is awesome, but the next two tracks are a bit sloppy (even though I still think both are good). 'Emotional Suicide' is a unique acoustical ballad piece: again, the chorus is awesome and sounds very different than the typical slow song from a regular glam band. 'Just Like The Blues' shows their bluesy side with some chugging riffs. George Karl and Ray Rodriguez prove to be a lethal guitar combo here.

'Eyes' is another winner, highly addictive hard rock piece with fantastic riffs. 'Your Light' is a nice and smooth acoustical ballad and 'Best of Me' is a beautiful southern rock song. The production is good and I'm glad I checked this out for quite a cheap bargain. If you love sleaze and glam, I bet you'll like this one a lot.

Read more of Stephen’s features at MetalMusicArchives.

No comments: