Friday, October 16, 2009

Review: Kevin McAdams "It's My Time to Lose My Mind"


Kevin McAdams (Elefant, Watchmakers) steps out from behind the drum kit to release his first solo effort "It's My Time to Lose My Mind". His CD contains 11 tracks, most of which fit comfortably in the pop rock genre, with a handful that contain some modest experimental elements (Beck comes to mind) to keep things interesting.

The instantly catchy first track, "Start Over Again", which recalls a bit of E.L.O., will grab you at the get go. "Start Over Again" has plenty of harmonies draping its sunny hook - when this song ends, you'll likely want to start it over again. While nothing else on the CD tops this wonderful pop confection, some of the other tunes come very close, such as "A Different Kind of Love Song", "The Hustler", and "My Time". The songs are generally upbeat and peppy, but the lyrics and vocal delivery are fairly melancholy. Like McAdams sings, "I'd like to write a happy song, but lately everything I've touched just falls apart". Well, not everything, Kevin..."It's My Time to Lose My Mind" holds itself together quite well.

McAdams' voice has that somewhat faint, whispery quality to it that puts him somewhere between The Brigadier and Matt Nathanson. It won't knock your socks off, but it services his brand of song well. As you would expect from an accomplished drummer, the rhythm section in all of these tracks is outstanding, many of them possessing an unshakable dance groove. All in all, a solid release that should get enough favorable reviews to keep McAdams stepping away from the drums and up to the mic more often.

iPOD-worthy: 1, 5, 6, 10

Kevin McAdams on MySpace. Get it.

No comments: