Monday, December 22, 2008

Review: Fall Out Boy "Folie A Deux"


I am a bit of a late comer to the Fall Out Boy craze, as their breakout record "From Under the Cork Tree" did not do much for me. Their next release, however, "Infinity on High" was awesome. Their musical style, which rivals modern emo bands such as Jimmy Eat World or Panic! At the Disco, grew on me fast with this effort, greatly helped by the fact that nearly every track was a radio friendly unit shifter with fantastic hooks, harmonies, and exquisite production.

The more I listen to Fall Out Boy, the more I gain an appreciation for what they do. A mind boggling number of musical styles can be found on each record, and they manage to infuse a healthy dance groove into their sound without compromising the rock sound. The band is not afraid to experiment with different styles and sounds, and they have plenty of horns and some piano on this record to keep things fresh and interesting (check out "20 Dollar Nose Bleed"). Lyrics are not run of the mill, the band is tight, and every record is like a party.

"Folie a Deux" is more or less a continuation of the move towards the more pop rock end of the spectrum, the trek they began with "Infinity On High". A solid effort but, as a whole, not as good or immediately accessible as the preceding record. That is not to say this record is not worth getting - I'd count it as one of the better ones of 2008. Standout tracks for the fans of their more melodic, commercial side should include the first single, "I Don't Care", "She's My Winona", and the brilliant ballad, "What A Catch, Donnie", where Elvis Costello does a guest vocal!

iPOD-worthy: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 12

Fall Out Boy on MySpace. Official Site.

Check out the video for "I Don't Care"

No comments: