Thursday, May 29, 2008

Review: Under the Influence of Giants (2006)


Um, OK. I've read quite a bit of positive press on various power pop blogs about this Under the Influence of Giants self-titled debut CD, released in 2006. Yes the music style is fresh and unlike a lot of what is out there today. Yes there are some parts that sound like disco-era E.L.O. or Bee Gees. Yes it is hip and makes you want to shake your booty. I agree with all this...but can't stand it! And where are all these hooks I've read about?

I guess their style of music just inches way too far into the dance realm for me, and the falsetto gets old after awhile. I've spun the CD more times than I should and I'd still rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than hear another track from Under the Influence of Giants.

For my readers who are into the more dance-oriented pop and funk (a la Maroon 5 or Scissor Sisters), you will probably get something out of this one. I'd point you to "Got Nothing" and "In the Clouds" to test the waters. The slower track "I Love You" is benign but nice, and the silky smooth vocals fit just right.

iPOD-worthy: 7

Under the Influence of Giants on MySpace. Official site.

Check out video for the single "Mama's Room" here.

No comments: