Friday, November 16, 2007

Review: House of Love "Audience with the Mind"

Sometimes when you dip into the $1 bargain bin you get what you pay for...and I have to say that is my conclusion regarding House of Love's 1993 CD, "Audience with the Mind." I risked my 100 pennies on the chance that some of the tracks would rival their best known single, "I Don't Know Why I Love You" off their self-titled (a.k.a. "Butterfly") release. I could not be more disappointed.

I can only dig this type of music for a few tracks, then it gets stale. The ingredients are good...acoustic guitar driven rock with just the right dose of psychedelia...but the recipe just results in a bland, half-baked mess. The low monotone of this rather limited lead singer doesn't help create any excitement. Fans of The Church or The Stone Roses should dig their sound, but they would probably agree with me that the songs just aren't there on "Audience with the Mind."

Official site.

iPOD-worthy: 1, 6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bill has no idea here. The concept of moving from flesh to redemption was interesting on this album. "Heaven and Hell" by Joe Jackson came later and it was also a very good album. Both tried some news sounds throughout. Some people listen to too many songs to be credible after a while, just like movie critics. Take a vacation and freshen up Bill. It'll do us all good.