Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Review: Toto "Falling in Between"

Excellent band...excellent CD cover...excellent reviews by melodicrock.com and many others...how could I go wrong? I popped this into the player with high expectations (perhaps too high) and began scratching my head. What am I missing here?

Toto is famous for their extraordinary musicianship and songwriting skills. That comes through loud (louder than any other Toto release I've heard) and clear...but dammit...the songs just ain't there. I can't get into any of these, with possible exception of "King of the World" and "Simple Life." I've always liked Toto more when they incorporated their prog into well crafted rock songs with hooks. If you are a fan of the prog aspect of Toto, especially their earlier days when they weren't afraid to crank up the guitars, this CD is probably going to appeal to you a lot more than it did to me. Hate to say it, but I was very disappointed. The CD is hugely forgettable.

Toto on MySpace. Official site.

iPOD-worthy: 4, 6
Here is the single "Bottom of Your Soul"

No comments: