Friday, July 27, 2007

Review: Lone Justice "Lone Justice"

I think this one is going to fall under the "what in the world was I thinking?" category. It is one of those CDs you might be tempted to get because it is cheap and readily available on the CD trading sites. I recall the hype that surrounded this rockabilly/country/rock band from the mid-80s...why I remember that and not things I should remember about yesterday I cannot explain. I even think some reviewer from Rolling Stone referred to them as the best band...ever. ?!

The release came out in 1985 and was put on CD in 1996. I thought it would have some good Southern rock flavor, and I can live with a little bit of country (melodic rock that masquerades as country music to shamelessly go for the cross-over sales), but this is way too hillbilly for me. Maybe if you are in the right mood...like when riding a hayride in Arkansas on your way to some rodeo. The single released from this record isn't too bad (Sweet, Sweet Baby I'm Falling), and Tom Petty fans might want to take note of the tune he participated in (Ways To Be Wicked).

Sweet, Sweet Baby (I'm Falling)



Maria McKee, who lead this outfit, does indeed have some noteworthy pipes, I just didn't like them in the context of this genre of music. She now has a solo career you can follow on myspace.

iPOD-worthy: tracks 3, 6

No comments: