Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Review: Richard Marx "Sundown" and "Emotional Remains"


Richard Marx has not fallen off the face of the earth - he is busy in Chicago quietly cranking out new music available through his web site. Like many fans of his initial work in the late 80s and 90s, I became increasingly disenchanted with his more recent output of sleepy ballad after ballad. 2004's "My Own Best Enemy" was supposed to be a return to form of sorts, but did not capture my attention like past masterpieces including his self-titled debut, "Repeat Offender" and "Paid Vacation".

Now Richard Marx is back with three (!) new releases for 2008. The first is a collection of acoustic recordings done with Matt Scannell of Vertical Horizon. I am sure they are nice, but there is only one new tune - the rest are covers of their respective past works. I was much more interested in the new studio material from Marx.

"Sundown" was no surprise. Another batch of big zzzzz from Marx. The first few notes and I shook my head in disappointment, knowing I would have to brew a big pot of coffee to get through this one. Nothing against his balladry - the guy has penned some timeless classics that I still give me goosebumps at times. But the ones on "Sundown", much like those on flops like "Flesh and Bone" or "Days in Avalon", seem uninspired and forgettable. The record also has a lot of cover tunes, including many that have been overdone already. Seriously, if one more artist tries to cover "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" again, they will be banned from my iPOD! Besides everyone and their brother re-recording this, no one is going to top Roberta Flack, OK? Also included are uneventful covers of the classics "Wild Horses" and "And I Love Her", sung with Jessica Andrews and Vince Gill, respectively. Finally, there is a head scratching rendition of Sade's "Ordinary Love". The original Marx tunes don't mean nothin' with exception of "Can't Stop Crying".

iPOD-worthy: 7

Now the pleasant surprise. "Emotional Remains" is the Richard Marx CD I know that many fans like me have been waiting for...largely up-tempo, engaging, catchy, and - what it this? - a lot of loud, electric guitars! Marx cashes in on some favors from old friends and collaborators like Fee Waybill (The Tubes), Kenny Loggins, and new pop rockers like the talented Graham Colton and the aforementioned Matt Scannell. These winning grooves have awakened Richard's inner child - Ricky, if you will, genuinely rocks out and his characteristic rasp is a thrill to hear once again. The production is top notch with a modern rock feel that has the potential to attract a whole new generation of fans, including kids who like Vertical Horizon, Lifehouse, or even 3 Doors Down. Who would have thought? Unlike "Sundown", "Emotional Remains" is full of excellent, melodic tracks. And yes there is a ballad - but it is a return to the kind that made Marx famous. "Through My Veins" is a touching piece written in the memory of his father - it starts with gentle piano and climaxes in a rousing swirl of crashing guitars. In addition to this track, I'd pick "Over My Head", "From The Inside", and "Done To Me" as the standouts in this batch of very strong songs.

"Emotional Remains" is unlike any other CD he's released and in a perfect world would make Richard Marx a viable artist heard all over the radio once again.

iPOD-worthy: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11

Richard Marx on MySpace. Official site.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Hi Bill! I was wondering, if you would be willing to sell your copy of the "Sundown" cd?? :) -Anna

Now this ROCKS! said...

Ann - sorry, I don't seem to have this CD anymore. I would try his web site or ebay. Good luck! -Bill