Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Review: The Smith Brothers "Restless"

I wasn't even paying attention when I popped the next CD in for review, but - whoa! - I immediately scrambled to find the notes on who was pumping out this most infectious brand of retro power pop. It was the pre-release sent to me by The Smith Brothers, whose CD "Restless" drops October 20 (and hey - thanks for the nifty calendar magnet!).

The lead off track that grabbed my attention so, "How Wrong You Are", is the embodiment of a perfect power pop single. I am happy to add that the vast majority of the 15 tracks on this impressive release stay true to this tradition. The one thing that sticks out for me above all else on "Restless" is HARMONY. Some of the most ear pleasing and brilliantly crafted backing harmonies this side of the Beach Boys. While these guys are clearly emulating the famous pop gems from 70s AM radio (The Raspberries are a good comparison), they manage to sound modern, with hints of The Posies and The Rembrandts. Lead vocals are satisfactory - they are more than adequate, with a Smithereens or Teenage Fanclub quality. But it is the flawless harmonies and sugary melodies that will make a lasting impression. I also have to give them credit for keeping the songs short and sweet - perfect for music fans with ADD or too many other CDs stacked up for listening!

There really isn't a bad song in the batch, but if I had to pick some favorites (not easy) I'd go for "How Wrong You Are", "She's Under My Skin", and "Too Long". The stage is set...The Smith Brothers have shot and scored. Retro 70s pop fans rejoice! Your AM radio has returned.

iPOD-worthy: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 14

The Smith Brothers on MySpace. Official site.

No comments: