Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Review: Sass Jordan "Rats"


The name says it all...Sass. There is no better description of this throaty, bluesy talent who sounds like the love child of Rod Stewart and Janis Joplin. On this 1994 release, "Rats," Sass Jordan belts out track after track of raw, passionate rock. I wish I could say I enjoyed it more, but her voice is too grating for me most of the time and most of the songs lack a hook as strong as her growl. But notable exceptions are the tracks "Slave" and "Head." "I'm Not" is about as close to pop rock territory Sass Jordan will venture...and I wish she would have gone in that direction more often - it is a GREAT song. Also worth mention is the gorgeous harmony-laden acoustic track, "Sun's Gonna Rise."

Where is Sass Jordan now? Well, in 2003 she was a judge on Canadian Idol, and I guarantee she did a better job than Paula Abdull.

iPOD-worthy: 2, 5, 6, 8

Check out the video for the feel-good track of the year, "Pissin' Down":

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bill, glad to see some respect for sass! check out the guitar on her album - it is by stevie salas. he has continued to release solo albums right thru since the 1990's. if you like some bluesy/funky rock you will enjoy although a lot of them only available on import