Sunday, April 13, 2008

Review: Kyf Brewer "Me and My Big Mouth"


In the linear notes, after the usual thank yous, Kyf Brewer writes, "No thanks to the industry." Amen to that. An industry that is not amenable to Kyf Brewer being another John Mellencamp is clearly broken.

I've been a fan of Kyf Brewer since the 80s, but never knew his name. I knew his bands: The Ravyns (remember "Raised on the Radio"?) and Company of Wolves (remember "The Distance"?). Remember them or not, take my word for it...the debut CD from Kyf's Company of Wolves remains one of the best roots rock albums of all time.

"Me and My Big Mouth" marks Kyf's first outing as a solo artist (1997). Kyf is tamer and appears to have grown older and a bit wiser, but this does not detract in the least from his skills as a songwriter with a sharp wit and knack for ear writing ear worms. The CD had to grow on me a bit - the songs not being as instantly catchy or crackling with the electricity of Company of Wolves. But with the second and even more so with the third listen, the songs were becoming familiar friends. Kyf has stayed true to his roots rock, with more acoustic-driven material than ever. I can see people drawing comparisons to John Mellencamp or Will Hoge, but he's got such a strong Mick Jagger in his vocals (check out "My Big Mouth"), Kyf is in a league of his own.

The strongest cuts include the lead-off track "Beautiful Thing", the sizzling roots rocker "Soul Jerky", and the greatest break-up record of its time, "Ain't Enough Booze".

So what is going on with the toad on the CD cover, Kyf? Frog in your throat? Hungry?

iPOD-worthy*: 1, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11

*I have to clarify that my CD is missing track 1 "Tight Purple Gitup" so the track picks are:

1. Beautiful Thing
3. Soul Jerky
4. Tales from the Couch
5. Diesel
9. My Big Mouth
10. Ain't Enough Booze
11. Little at a Time

Kyf Brewer: Official site.

Trivia: Fans of Ike and Cliff Hillis: Cliff produces some of Kyf's more recent work.

1 comment:

Lee said...

A great album. I got in touch with Kyf a few years ago and we exchanged a handful of emails over a period of a couple of months after I revieed his second solo disc 'Salvdor Deli' (also a great album). Kyf's a great guy.