Thursday, March 27, 2008

Review: Verbow "White Out"


Growing up, the radio used to be my best friend. DJs used to turn us on to great new music from an seemingly endless stream of new artists. I never thought days would come where I would hate the radio. But now music is merely sandwiched in-between a zillion commercials and asinine conversation from the most unfunny dolts you've ever heard. The 5 or 6 songs we do manage to hear are usually lackluster beyond words, and repeated every day for weeks as if these are the only musicians on the planet.

I have yet another reason today to hate radio...radio failed to introduce me to Verbow. How can such a great band with a unique but assessable sound go so unnoticed? I found the 2000 Verbow CD "White Out" on the Island of Misfit CDs ($1 bin at used CD store) - a true diamond in the rough. My incentive for taking a risk on this CD was that for some reason I remembered that Bob Mould had a connection with this group. I recently refreshed my memory and discovered that Bob recorded their previous record, "Chronicles" in 1997.

The first 7 tracks of "White Out" just pick you up and don't let you. A fantastic vibe and momentum carries these tracks along and sweeps you away in their melodic current. I enjoy the vocals a lot more than I do Bob Mould, but Verbow certainly shares a talent for writing great heartfelt rock songs like Bob. I love the well placed cello throughout the songs - one might expect this on the slower numbers, but they can make it rock too! Nearly every track boasts beautiful harmonies, thought-provoking lyrics, jamming riffs, and catchy choruses.

While nearly every song is great, "New History" is a track that should have been huge at radio. This one was produced by AOR and rock genius Chris Lord-Alge. "Ambulance" is another fine slice of mid-tempo pop rock. It is tragic the industry did them in with only 2 albums to show for it. One of the guys (Jason Narducy) has a new band called Rockets Over Sweden, but I have yet to check them out.

iPOD-worthy: 1-7, 11

Jason Narducy at MySpace.

No comments: