Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Review: Angels & Airwaves "We Don't Need To Whisper"


I was never a big fan of Blink-182, save the excellent hook-laden hit, "All the Small Things." In 2006, Blink's guitarist/vocalist Tom DeLonge released his new project entitled "Angles and Airwaves." The record received some pretty good press, debuted at # 4 on Billboard (which means less and less to me every week), and went gold. To top that all off, Roger Joseph Manning, Jr (Jellyfish) played the keyboards on this release.

I wish I could say that I like it more. It sounds like a logical step forward that Blink-182 would take...I don't think you can separate his distinctive voice from anything else but what he did with Blink-182. I admire the production, and some of the songs have a cool atmosphere associated with them...I can see why some argue this is more of a "headphones in the dark" record. Bottom line is the songs just don't do anything for me. Too forgettable, even with repeated spins. I applaud an effort to grow and expand as an artist, but the guy just doesn't have the vocal chops for more serious songs...he is better suited for the novelty tunes that Blink-182 made famous.

iPOD-worthy: 6

Angels and Airwaves on MySpace. Offical site.

Video for the single "The Adventure":

No comments: