Monday, December 17, 2007

Review: The Summer Obsession "This Is Where You Belong"

I really wasn't expecting much from this CD, but wow! what a pleasant surprise. This lot of perky pop punk tracks is full of enough hooks and crunch to keep any melodic rocker happy. The band hails from Florida and released this debut CD in August 2006. The drummer (Chris Wilson) used to be in Good Charlotte, and you can definitely hear some resemblances between them and Summer Obsession. Other comparisons that come to mind include The Click Five and Simple Plan. I am finding that I dig a lot these "neo" alt rock outfits - their music won't change the world, but it does make you feel good and get your toes tapping.

I've read that a founding guitarist left the band, but they were working on a new record. I hope his departure does not manifest itself as a sophomore jinx. Time will tell, but I will certainly check out their next effort.

The Summer Obsession on MySpace. Official site.

Check out video for "Death Said" (which got to 96 on the Billboard chart):

No comments: