Saturday, October 31, 2009

Review: Goldbergs "Jingle Jangle Pop" [EP]


An early holiday treat is about to come your way! Andy Goldberg (see our review of the latest Goldbergs record here) is releasing a special Holiday EP appropriately entitled "Jingle Jangle Pop". The EP contains 4 tracks - 2 brand new and 2 from his previous project, The Sun Kings. Individual tracks or the entire album will be available only on iTunes no later than November 9 - mark your calendars as this is one powerpop fans won't want to miss.

My favorite track, the playful "Chanukah Guy", has that trademark Beatles-esque Goldbergs sound that I raved about earlier this year in my review for "Under The Radar". "Chanukah Guy" features Rich Pagano on drums (who is in the Fab Faux) and John Conte on bass. "Christmas Time Again", recorded entirely in Andy's basement, features Andy singing and playing everything himself.

Tracks 3 and 4, "Santa's Calling" and "Have a Very Merry Christmas", are from Andy's old band The Sun Kings (circa 1998). In addition to giving me two more tracks I can't wait to add to my iPOD's holiday playlist, these tracks provide an intriguing glimpse into Andy's evolution as an artist.

I can't wait until the next full-length release from the Goldbergs, but until then these four holiday tunes will be great to 'yule-tide' me over.

iPOD-worthy: 1, 2, 3, 4

The Goldbergs on MySpace.

No comments: