Friday, June 6, 2008

Review: Evan Dando "Baby I'm Bored"


What an unfortunate title for this CD, the 2003 solo effort from the Lemonheads frontman. It is just too easy to use it against him to sum up the listening experience.

Let's start with the good news...it won't take long. "It Looks Like You" is a snappy number, with Evan actually sounding like he wants to be in the studio recording this one. Great harmony vocals strengthen the chorus hook, overlaid atop the kind of nice acoustic guitar work we'd expect from Evan Dando. The track after this one is also pretty interesting, entitled "The Same Thing You Thought Hard About Is The Same Part I Can Live Without". You'd think it was a Smiths song from the length of the title, but it actually sounds good when vocalized by Evan in the chorus of this neat little tune. The only other track worth mention is "All My Life", a slower acoustic-driven track with some of the best, personal, and heartfelt lyrics on the record. "All my life I thought I needed the things I didn't need at all".

The rest...well, unexciting is an understatement. Evan's vocals largely sound deep and muted, soft and uninspired. The production also sounds tired (bored?), but his acoustic numbers are immune to this. This is a solo effort that makes you think Evan really misses playing with his Lemonheads. I'd rather listen to the worst Lemonheads record (plenty to choose from!) than spin this one again in its entirety.

iPOD-worthy: 7, 8, 10

Evan Dando seems to be allergic to the Internet - no links. Here is one to Lemonheads site.

No comments: