Sunday, November 18, 2007

Review: Scorpions "Unbreakable"

I was pleasantly surprised with the latest Scorpions release earlier this year, "Humanity Hour 1" (read why). Steve (from Heavy Metal Addiction) told me that I would also like "Unbreakable" (2004, Sanctuary Records). I finally found a used copy for cheap and got to check it out this week. Steve's recommendation was right on and while I still prefer "Humanity Hour 1", "Unbreakable" is a terrific record.

As on this year's release, the Scorpions sound older and wiser (I mean that in a good way!). The production on "Humanity" is superior to what I hear on "Unbreakable," but the Scorps sound strong and not dated. The record just got better and better as it progressed, and I found myself enjoying the latter half more than the beginning...the record is consistent and flows effortlessly. Ballads are scarce, and the rockers are anthems. The talents of these rock veterans are really shining in this new millennium, and I truly hope they are not finished making music yet. To me, they sound better than ever. For the fans of catchy melodies, just out the instantly likable tracks "Someday is Now" (7) and "My City, My Town" (8), "Can You Feel It" (10)

iPOD-worthy: 2, 3, 7, 8, 10-13

Check out "Deep and Dark":

No comments: