Friday, October 19, 2007

Review: Tommy Conwell & the Young Rumblers "Rumble"

I was in one of those 80s Philly blues bar band moods (who doesn't get into that mood every now and then?), so I popped in some Tommy Conwell. This exceptional guitarist was an underrated figure in the 80s, but managed to capture at least 5 minutes of fame with the rock hit "I'm Not Your Man" in 1988 (video). The album from which it came, "Rumble" stalled at 103 on the charts, but should have done much better. There are more than a handful of good singles on "Rumble," which has a consistent sound throughout. In the days of vinyl, this would be referred to as a "side 1" album because the first half of the songs are the best of the bunch.

iPOD-worthy: 1, 2, 3, 4, 10

On a side note, reading about what this "former" rock star is up to now was interesting:
“My son still thinks that I’m a rock star,” Tommy laughs. “I play the carnival at his school every year.”

1 comment:

DJ Caterina said...

Great review....Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers + Rock N Roll = AWESOME!